Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Not Mad Enough

I thought I was Mad.  But evidently, I'm not Mad enough.

At least that's the indication from the editors of this classic magazine to my recent submissions, five in total, that spanned the gamut from satirizing politicians to cooking shows.  "This is Mad," they told me, "but not Mad enough."  But how do I up the ante?

Writing satire is one of the things I do best (I think) . . . I sure do miss my Wittenburg Door on this count.  I miss satirizing religion and the church, in particular.  Politicians and pastors . . . it's like shooting fish in a barrel. 

I could so easily satirize Harold Camping and his "rapture" theology, but quite frankly, he's much too easy to poke fun at.  The end of the world didn't occur on May 21?  Well, he just miscalculated, and now we have to wait until October 21, when the real thing is going to happen. It's just too bad that Camping won't be around much longer to satirize.  Since he's 85 years old, I guess he's hoping he won't have to die to see the Lord. 

Not Mad enough?  There's zany, wild, incredibly ridiculous stuff that passes for Christianity every day.  And if we don't laugh at it, it's just too sad to believe.

In the meantime, I'll just keep writing satire whenever something tickles my funny bone.  Help me, Alfred!

No comments: