Thursday, May 12, 2011

My New Schedule

I'm nothing without my routines:  coffee, early morning workouts, morning writing, fixing dinner for the family, mowing two acres by hand . . . it all adds up to a very boring life.  And now that Becky is back in school, taking her next night class that keeps her out of the house until 9 p.m. 2X per week (then coming home to grade papers and make lesson plans) . . . I've got more free time than usual in the evenings since she has a headache every night! 

Nevertheless, the first question out of her mouth each night when she greets me is: "What did you do today?"

What did I doDo?  What don't I do, lady? 

Still, whenever I tell her that her absence has offered me time to write, she never seems to consider this actual work.  She would prefer a more domestic use of my time, with mopping and sweeping and scrubbing closer to the core.  But heck, I barely give this much attention to myself, much less the house.  I'm just not that hygienic.  I use a lot of sprays and moisturizers in order to be presentable in public.  

If my wife asks about my day tonight (when I see her around 9:30 p.m.) I'm going to give it to her straight.

I rose early . . . I drank the cold dregs of the coffee she made earlier (she usually rises before I do!!), I drove to the gym to lift and grunt and sweat . . . I wrote for an hour (including this blog) . . . I then did the Lord's work, visiting in the hospital, making plans, helping out, stomping fires, contemplating scripture and saying prayers on the fly . . . I also sweated off two pounds of water in my station wagon with no air and no ability to lower windows . . . I returned phone calls and emails . . . I came home to cook peanut butter sandwiches . . . I screamed at the cat . . . cleaned puke . . . read a chapter in a book and wrote more weird tales.

"How was your day?"

Absolutely boring!  How was yours, dear?

No comments: