Monday, May 9, 2011

Here's Looking at You, Kid

After a recent barrage of emails and correspondence from Ball State informing me of my daughter's status (senior), I couldn't help but reflect on her writing and leadership successes.  In addition to being university President for Free the Slaves, and organizing a very successful forum at the university on the topic of slavery and lost children (which some 165 people attended), Chelsey also submitted an essay to the planning committee for the upcoming Harry Potter Convention at Universal Studios, FL.

Her paper was accepted and she is now one of the speakers on the docket, conducting a workshop on the topic of world slavery and child traffic in particular.

As I reflect on my own college years, I can see that my daughter is far ahead of where I was as a writer (when I was 21).  Yes, by the time I was 21 I was seeing my work published and was also receiving payment for some of it, but my writing then was no where nearly as crisp, well-positioned, or articulated as her own.

At 21, I was well on my way to writing the type of warped fodder that would make others laugh.  I was reading my insanity aloud at coffee houses and stand-up comedy stages, among other places, and those experiences were invaluable.  But I learned that humor is one of the toughest forums in which to work, and, all things considered, it's best to laugh at one's self first before trying to make fun of others.  That's why I often write in the nude.  It's helpful to have a visible reminder that the emperor wears no clothes and there is no place to hide behind bad writing.

While my daughter was having her paper accepted, this past week I did have another humor essay accepted by a satirical journal . . . I seem to be able to crank out at least one loaf of insanity each week.

In the meantime, let me congratulate my daughter on her successes . . . and extend to her the hope that we might one day work on some books together.  Until then, I'll dress warmly and hope that my mother sends me some new underwear very soon.  I'm getting chaffed.

No comments: