Monday, January 3, 2011

The Year of Yes


I've decided: 2011 is going to be the "Year of Yes." I'm expecting publishers to push forward through their fears and publish more books. I'm expecting magazines to open their pages to idiots like me who send in material "over the transom." I'm hopeful that I'll hear from many editors who will say "yes" to my proposals, essays, and various submissions.

Already, I'm seeing the signs. I just received a "yes" from an editor who wants to publish one of my essays, and my agent is anticipating having a big year with my material.

I'm also going to say "yes" more often at home. When my wife is bored and needs something to do at home, I'm going to suggest several activities that involve her. I also plan to say "yes" to some new Hamburger Helper recipes and "yes" to some new ventures that might press me outside of my comfort zone.

And, of course, I'll still be saying "yes" to Ball State and Indiana University for another year. "Yes", I will send Ball State massive amounts of money. "Yes", I will continue to feed the coffers of Indiana University so they can hire another football coach (Lord knows those guys need to eat). And "Yes", I will take my Tylenol PM at 1 a.m. each morning so I can forget what I did during the day.

It's going to be a great "YES YEAR".

No comments: