Sunday, January 9, 2011

Darn Tootin'


I enjoyed reading Pops, a recent biography of Louis Armstrong written by Terry Teachout. I've always enjoyed Armstrong's music and reading this biography I discovered a man who certainly broke down many racial barriers in his time and in his own unique way. This biography also opened up a new world with regard to Armstrong's music and his contributions beyond the trumpet.

Of course, not playing an instrument myself, reading about such a gifted musician left me wanting and wishing. Why did I give up the trombone when I was thirteen? Had I stayed with the music program, I could be sitting around the living room even now playing my own rendition of "When the Saints Go Marching In" or "Hello, Dolly!" Too bad I only play cards now.

I'm always jealous when I encounter gifted musicians. They seem so blessed and full of the spirit. Me? I'm fortunate if I get positive feedback from the dog. I don't make much music and it's difficult to look inspired while lounging on the couch typing this blog and eating nacho chips and chocolate covered donuts.

Nevertheless, I'll keep listening to Louis Armstrong and his gravely voice. He makes me feel so good.

No comments: