Sunday, July 20, 2008

Reading in the Rain

I had everything planned for Saturday at the beach (in Michigan City). A couple of magazines, a big thick book about the Lewis and Clark expedition, a Chicago Tribune newspaper. But then came the rains--a downpour actually.

Per my usual habit, I rose early before the rest of the family, slipped out the door at Al & Sally's Motel early Saturday morning (yes, that's actually the name of the motel!) and drove to a nearby gas station for friendly talk with the tattooed teen tending the cash register. I also picked up two coffees and my newspaper. By the time I got back to the motel I was soaked.

Let me tell you, it's tough reading in the rain. Ink melts. But it got me to thinking . . . .

There's money to be made out there for some bright, enterprising young upstart who can invent a book or magazine that can hold up against the elements. Some kind of computer Geek. Not the kid at the gas station. Can anyone say, "Bill Gates"?

No comments: