Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Exploration

I'm halfway through the seven-hundred page book, Undaunted Courage: Meriweather Lewis, Thomas Jefferson, and the Opening of the American West, Stephen Ambrose. Yes, I'm reading about Lewis (and Clark!) and learning about the myriad experiences they had up the wide Missouri and beyond. Makes me feel a bit saddened by the lack of exploration in my life.

Still, I did run away from home when I was four (got five blocks away and turned back when I heard my mom calling. She could yell VERY LOUD . . . something about getting my skinny little butt back in the house or she was going to come down there and . . . ).

When I was fifteen I technically could have been arrested for breaking and entering (but both of the houses were condemned and besides, officer Finkeldinkel knew it was just a prank).

And when I was forty-two my wife allowed me to walk down to the corner gas station and buy a box of Jugu-fruits so we could watch a $1.95 DVD on television.

As you can see, I've explored much of this great land of ours. Next week, I'm going to muster up the courage to wade across white lick creek, imagining I'm deep in Sioux territory. Come to think of it, I'd better bring the dog along as well as some prayer beads for trading.

1 comment:

Michelle Kallock Knight said...

I wonder what you could trade for a couple of prayer beads? Hmm...