Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Shakespeare

I read two books over this long weekend, the best of which was Shakespeare, by Bill Bryson (the prolific and very funny travel writer from England). I can't say that I learned much that was new about Shakespeare (but according to Bryson, there isn't much we can know). However, reading the book did make me pine for some long days to read Shakespeare afresh. No doubt, he's one of the most influential writers/dramatists/poets in this history of the English language.

I took a Shakespeare class in college. It was the most informative English class I ever had and one of the most enjoyable, despite having to read two-three of the plays each week. This class also produced (by far) the worst grade I received in college (a C-). I simply couldn't write fast enough to complete the comprehensive tests given by the prof.

Until I read Bryson's book, I'd forgotten about that class and how much I loved it. Once you get into the language, the world of Shakespeare opens up and becomes accessible, and it's quite a world. I also remember that the bard of Stratford was fond of using the phrase, "Thou Saucy Wench" to describe an ill-tempered woman.

I use it from time to time with my wife, but it doesn't have the same effect. Something gets lost in the translation!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Whoa. I was unaware this book existed. May I borrow it at some point? It sounds awesome.

Grandma Bonnie said...

We lived overseas for 3 years in Wales. When we did we had to rent (company's policy) and our landlord loved Bill Bryson and encouraged us to read his books. I've read Walk in the Woods and it is really funny. Looks like Robert Redford might produce that book as a film. We also visited Stratford upon Avon (Shakespeare's home) I went there because i make teddy bears and there was a great show to purchase supplies. We also stopped by the home, i didn't go in, but my husband has...you can see the house from the pedestrian walk way. The other thing i wanted to say was that my daughter and son-in-law attend your church and are English (writing) teachers at Chapel Hill 7th & 8th. My son-in-law teaches Shakespeare and loves it. If you ever want to re-live a test I am sure he would share. :-)