Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Attacking Sponge Bob

About a year ago I wrote a satirical piece for The Wittenburg Door magazine (a religious satire mag that I've submitted to for over twenty years) attacking SpongeBob Squarepants as a tool of the devil. The satire was intended to poke fun at folks like Jerry Falwell, who had then recently mentioned that the purple Tellitubbie was gay and was harmful to children, and others who were espousing that Harry Potter was leading tens of millions of children into witchcraft.

What followed was one of the largest influx of letters to the editor in The Door's history--and I was glad to be a part of it. These letters came from as far away as India and most were sent in to show support for the little yellow sponge. The editors attempted to remind people that the piece was satirical (humor with an edge) but they would hear nothing of it. They were certain that the author--ME!--was completely off his rocker.

Well, let me clear the air. I love Spongebob. He's not the anti-christ. He's not evil. He's a drawing. A cartoon.

Actually, I'd love to live in Bikini Bottom. Patrick would be my best friend. I'd drive a boat. Eat Crabbie Patties. Live in a pineapple. Are you ready kids?