Friday, October 5, 2007

Ted Giesel

Last night I was reaching for an encyclopedia (I frequently read these tomes while I watch TV) when Green Eggs and Ham fell off the shelf. Not food--the book . . . written by Dr. Seuss. The good Dr.'s alter-ego was Ted Giesel, who was just a plain jane guy who liked to illustrate kid's books. He tried writing one himself--The Cat in the Hat--which turned out to be a rather large hit.

Reading this book again brought back many memories with my kids. This was one of our favorites. Still is. Or it's one of my favorites, anyway.

Somewhere in all of us, there is a little Sam-I-Am who is fearful of trying anything new. That's why I tend to wear the same socks for weeks at a time, why my dad has cut my hair since I was two, why I'm still married to the same gal after twenty-three years. I'm afraid to try anything new.

Next time I eat an egg sandwich ("The Big Daddy") I'm going to put a little green food coloring in the yolk and see how it turns out. I might just like Green Eggs and Ham after all.

1 comment:

Drew Shepherd said...

Right off the bat, your blogs have a lot of words. I don't even read all of Aaron's...

Just after writing that I decided to actually read some. Didn't know you were so morbid as to talk about your brain like that.