Wednesday, October 3, 2007

The Brains of the Outfit

After reading the biography of Einstein, I was intrigued by a little known fact that Einstein's brain was removed during his autopsy. In point of fact, the brain disappeared, only to reappear years later in the possession of the doctor who had performed the autopsy. The doctor kept Einstein's brain in a tupperware container and distributed it in various sized chunks to pathologists around the world. Eventually, what was left of the brain was offered to Einstein's family, but they refused it.

Considering Einstein's brain in a tupperware container, I got to wondering about my own brain. For what greater purposes might my brain be preserved for observation and study? Well, I think my wife might want to pickle it. She's got a number 10 pickle jar under the sink (in which she saves bacon grease) and I think my brain could fit into it. Add a little food coloring and I think she could make it match the decor in our home, and it would be a great conversation piece. That way, there's a part of me that would live on, and she could continue to ask me questions after I've departed.

I think my brain might also warrant preservation due to my vast knowledge of the Andy Griffith Show. As long as the show lives on in the hearts (and minds!) of faithful viewers, then Goober will never die. My brain could be on display in Mount Airy, North Carolina along with a plaque that reads: The Mayberry Brain. Or it could be a travelling display.

Finally, I could allow my brain to remain in the church office, as there are so many people who drop by every week to ask, "Could I pick your brain a little?" This way, they could actually see something tangible rather than receive my unhelpful counsel and advice. Come to think of it, I may actually be of greater value to people after I've gone. A brain is a terrible thing to waste.

2 comments:

Michelle Kallock Knight said...

That is so gross! We don't want your brain hanging around the church office. It would smell!
Michelle

Paula said...

Just where is the Mayberry Brain Center? Left lobe? Right lobe? Sandwiched between 2 endorphins?