Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Fitness in a Bottle

On my office desk I display an assortment of bottles--each containing their respective emollients, benefits and miracles.  Daily, I consume flax seed oil for cholesterol, Vitamins C & E, Glucosamine (for joint repair), and even Saw Palmetto (an herb, with the appearance of marijuana, that is regarded as a key ingredient for prostate health).  I often begin my day by consuming this magical mix of pills . . . and soon afterwards, I sit down to write.

There's no telling what these vitamins and minerals actually do, but in certain cases, I swear by their benefits.  My shoulders and knees feel much improved, for example, after I began swallowing Glucosamine, and I swear my wrists and fingers hold up better under the strain of typing.

But I have always taken supplements.

As a teen, I followed the "Rocky" way and consumed whole eggs, cracked raw out the shell into an open mouth, and in the late 1970s and early 80's I ate desiccated liver tablets, brewer's yeast tablets, and dried milk as a primary source of protein (ala Arnold Schwarzenneger).  Now, I consume the pills in order to stay alive.

Although writing itself is not an aerobic activity, I have discovered that it is important for me to keep my back, knees, and shoulders in good condition.  All of these areas of the body (including the oft neglected abdominals, which I force into submission through hundreds of crunches, jackknives, and hanging leg raises each week) have a direct correlation with being able to sit for long hours in front of a computer.  Neglect the core, and I feel a slippage of output along the outer synapses of the body. 

I'm not sure if there is a direct correlation between these pills and my overall health, but I have not been ill with the flu for over fifteen years, and I can count on one hand the number of times I have experienced a cold deep enough to warrant a sick day.  It could be the pills, or superior genetics, or even my wife's cooking.  Or, perhaps, it's just dumb luck.  But at any rate, I like to think that the pills land me in good health.

That, and I really like the thought of "popping pills".  It sounds so tough, and all of those pills makes me feel like I have a long future as a writer.

No comments: