Tuesday, March 4, 2014

A Tribute to Dr. Seuss

Beloved writer Dr. Seuss died a few days ago, and I thought I'd take some space here to pay tribute.  He was certainly one of the best-selling (if not the best-selling writer for children) of the 21st century.  Most Americans can recall either having read Dr. Seuss books as a child, or reading his books to children or grandchildren. I suppose the most well-known of his books was The Cat in the Hat

No doubt Dr. Seuss has been parodied to death, too.  His verse lends itself to all manner of humor, which is another tribute to greatness.

Some years back I wrote my own modern-day version of his book Hop On Pop, and I thought I'd offer it again here.  Anyway, just my way of saying "Dr. Seuss, you shall be missed!"


Hop on Pop

The bills keep coming
They won't stop
Everybody
Hop on Pop

The wife likes spending
Loves to shop
But she never
Hops on Pop

The college calls
They want a drop
I write a check
They Hop on Pop

The teenage son
Thinks he's Aesop
Believes he's wiser
Than his Pop

The daugher's wedding
The cake top
And all expenses
Hop on Pop

Daddy feels
Like a bellhop
Taking orders
But he's Pop

Sometimes he cooks
The evening slop
But each complaint
Still Hops on Pop

Daddy cleans
He likes to mop
But still there's dirt
That Hops on Pop

The politicians
And their crop
Have a solution:
Hop on Pop!

Sometimes Pop dreams
He'd like to swap
His life insurance
Cash for Pop

But life keeps coming
It won't stop
Everybody!
Hop on Pop!  

No comments: