Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Pick-up Game

Last week I received a nice accolade from a magazine editor informing me that one of my published poems had recently been "picked-up" by an anthology.  I'm not sure what this means (probably nothing), but I'll admit . . . it's sounds high-falutin.

Whenever an editor says I've been "picked-up", it has to be a good thing, right?

Of course, I've been part of the pick-up scene for decades, man.  I was groovin' with pick-up lines long before Hollywood made them a staple in romantic comedies.  I picked-up my wife this way and, later, when I tried to pick her up and carry her over the threshold, I banged her head on the door jam. That's why I started lifting weights, so I could carry her heft. 

Of course, my pick-up lines worked much better in the 1970s when everyone was groovin' with ZZ-Top and Boston and the Eagles.  So keep in mind, I'm not sure how these will sound to modern ears. But listen, dog, these worked way back when:

Pick-up Line # 1:  Which one of you pretty ladies has my Buick Regal double-parked outside?  I need to get home to give my mother her milk of magnesia!

Pick-up Line # 2: Your name wouldn't happen to be Becky, would it?  I know a girl with the same name. What'r the odds a that?

Pick-up Line # 3: Could I buy one of you finely-educated ladies a diet drink?  Not that you need to diet, mind you, but I noticed your human anatomy textbooks, and that just happens to be my best subject . . . that, and Greek literature.  Kind of a toss-up.  But I'll let you decide.  What do you think of me so far?

Pick-up Line # 4Whaazzup!  (I was saying this long before Snoop Dog and don't let him kid you.)

Pick-up Line # 5: I'm on my way to church and just wondered if you'd like for me to pray for you?  I happen to be on a first-name basis with God and something tells me you've never had a kiss from a real man.  Or are you a cross-dresser?

As you can see, I was a real charmer, a true Casanova.  And those of you who know me can see what I ended up with.  Obviously, my wife has great taste.  She picked me up!

Still, I was glad to hear about the poem.  I can't wait to see how that one turns out now that some editor has responded to my "pick-up" lines.

No comments: