Saturday, July 2, 2011

Summer Vacation

It happens every summer.  Just as I am making plans to get away on vacation, the phone starts ringing and the offers start coming in.  And, although most publishers and magazines "take a break" from submissions during the mid-summer slump, it always feels like my writing load heats up during July.

In the past week I've had three phone calls from folks asking if I would 1) schedule a drive-time radio show to talk about my, now, nearly two year-old wedding planning book 2) schedule a couple of speaking engagements for marketing purposes.

I've already said "no" to the speaking engagements and turned down these high-paying gigs, but I will try to work out the drive-time radio interview, even if I have to do the talk show from my cell phone near the top of Mt. Rainier, where Becky and I are headed next week.  It's possible.  For the past two years I've done radio interviews from my hotel room while on vacation. 

Most of the interviewers want to know, "Where are now, Mr. Alleycat?  Do I hear the sound of surf in the background?"

"Oh, that's just the cabana boy bringing me another drink.  There's a party going on over here.  They just brought in another load of caviar."

I'm ready to do my interview while walking a trail or riding a ferry across the Columbia river.  That's the wonder of cell phones.  As long as I can get good reception, I'm available.  The only thing I'll have to work out is the time difference.  But I hate the thought of getting up in the middle of the night.  Not for an interview.  And certainly not while on vacation.

No comments: