Sunday, December 28, 2008

Poor Me


As 2008 is rapidly nearing an end, I am frantically reading books. I am still determined to read 100 books this year, and by my count, I'm going to do it.


One of the books I did complete was Poor Richard's Almanac (just selected portions, of course, written by Ben Franklin). I enjoyed the book, especially such pithy sayings as:


Both fish and visitors stink after three days.

Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.


Well, old Ben had a nice way of turning a phrase. But I've learned a few things over the years, too. Here are some of my musings.


Fifteen-year-old boys won't eat lima beans, not even if they're covered in chocolate sauce.

Never buy your wife a practical Christmas gift.

Don't crack walnuts on the sofa cushions.

Don't try to drive on ice.

If you are feeling depressed, eat a donut.



No comments: