Monday, December 15, 2008

I'm No Wimp


One of the books I purchased for Logan (Christmas gift...don't tell him!) is Diary of a Wimpy Kid, by Jeff Keeney. Of course, I had to read it myself. It's a great book. Very halarious, and smacks of the best and worst memories ever dredged up from middle school years. The book did have one tidbit that brought back a flood of memories for me, and confirmed my self-assessment that I am no wimp. The author mentions paying another middle school student to eat chewing gum that had been pried off of the bottom of the desk.


Now, I wasn't in middle school at the time, but I made a fair amount of money in high school actually performing dares/stunts like this. Some of my un-wimpy records include:


$12.00 gleaned from the other members of the varsity basketball team when I ate a piece of chewing gum from the boy's shower floor (Dentine, as I recall).


$5.00 for finishing a lollipop I found in the rain-soaked school parking lot.


And I actually took Becky to the Junior year prom by eating a tangled mass of 6 Milk Duds that several friends found under the bleachers (and paid me to eat), for a total of $40.00. Heck, in 2008 dollars, that's something like $400. Man, I'd eat a lot of stuff off the bottom of desks for $400, even today. I'd still lick lead paint off the walls for $400.


Don't think I'd do it? Wanna bet?

No comments: