Monday, August 9, 2010

The Telephone Call


Last Monday I answered a very unusual phone call. The party on the other end was an older man, who promptly informed me that "he recently found my book, Candles in the Dark, and was reading it and enjoying it very much, and I just wanted to call and tell you that you've done some great work here!" (CLICK)

Yeah. Click! End of conversation.

As of today, I still don't know who called me (the caller ID indicated, it seems, a cell phone number not connected to the individual). I'd love to have some further conversation with this guy and ask the following questions:

* Did you find this book on a remainder table at Bob's Book Barn, or did you pay full retail price for it?
I actually know the answer to this one, as the book has been out of print for some time . . . Bob's Book Barn it is.

* Are you calling from a truck stop?
The answer here would narrow the field a good bit, as I know very few truckers.

* What was your mother's maiden name, and could you provide your social security number and thumb print for identification?
The answers here might help the private investigator I have hired.

* Have you ever, or are you now, serving time for a felony?
Just want to eliminate my dad from the list of suspects.

* Have you ever thrown a rock through a window?
This would be Earnest T. Bass!

* Would you be willing to send me the book so I could sign it and return it to you . . . and would you be willing to provide your name for this?
This might do it.


Gotta love a mystery caller!






*

No comments: