Friday, August 20, 2010

My Library Part 6


This will be the last blog about my home library (for awhile) but I thought it might be helpful to point out the obvious. After I got married I stepped up my book collecting for the home library. But for singles, I'd still recommend the public library as a great place to meet a future husband or wife.

For example, let's take pick-up lines. There are many that can be used in a library that, well, you just can't use anywhere else.

Some great pick up lines for men would be:
Nice bookends!
or
Do you know where I can find the relationship section? I want to read a book on commitment!

Some great pick up lines for women would be:
Mind if I check you out?
or
I love the way you carry that library card in your hip pocket!

You see what I mean? Books are romantic. That's why I carry an ample supply of titles that my wife might want to read. I can point them out from time to time and say things like, "Hey, why don't you and I get naked and read a book together?" I can't tell why this line has worked twice but if it doesn't, well . . . then both of us have learned something. Over the years my wife and I have read many books together, including such great marital titles as Gone with the Wind, Lady Chatterley's Lover, and the "Q" volume of the World Book Encyclopedia where we learned a great deal about the TV show Quincy and how to cut up a cadaver.

Having tall library shelves is also a great way to get something started. Frequently, I ask my wife, "Can you reach that five-volume set of Shakespeare up there on the top shelf?" When she reaches for it, I sneak up behind her and make a move . . . like pulling the tiny ladder out from underneath her and then trying to catch her heft as she falls backwards into my arms. This has been tougher since I've been dealing with a torn rotator cuff, but we've managed. Sometimes she catches me. And if I miss, well . . . we both end up on the floor with lots of reading material.

Folks, enjoy your home library. It's a great place for love to bloom.

No comments: