Friday, December 14, 2007

Thesaurus 3

Here's my third attempt to write about one of my most-used books: my thesaurus. I'm now on my third one. The other two fell apart from over-use.

I like the thesaurus because it sounds fancy and I like to throw the word around in public. Out to lunch, I might ask the waitress if she's seen my thesaurus. My kids think it is some kind of ancient creature with fangs and horns. I use the word when I talk to my mother on Sunday nights and she thinks I'm asking to talk to my dad.

I find many interesting synonyms in the thesaurus. Witness the following, all on the same page:

hirsute--furry, fuzzy, shaggy
hissy fit--huff, passion, tantrum
hoi polloi--masses, proletariat, public
hoity-toity--grandiose, pretentious

Bored? Read the thesaurus. Keep one in your glove compartment and use it liberally when you talk to the speaker at McDonalds. See what happens.

No comments: