Monday, September 9, 2013

Finding the Upper Hand

In my sermon Sunday I noted one of my recent pieces of advice to aspiring writers:  If you want to be certain to gain the attention of an editor, write a handwritten note.

That's why I keep plenty of stationery on hand (I have my own professionally produced so it looks like I know what I'm doing). 

No doubt the art of the handwritten letter has suffered in these past decades.  Now everything is email, text and twitter . . . or worse.  But what could be worse?   Misspelling half of the words in a tweet, I suppose.

At any rate, that's my advice to anyone who wants to get a reading:  write a letter.  Letters are rare these days . . . as rare as a baseball player not taking steroids, as rare as Paula Dean getting a new endorsement, as a rare as a politician who makes sense.

If you are like me, your handwriting has suffered from so much texting, but you can recover the dexterity with a bit of Ben-Gay and a few push ups. 

So, if you want to write, you might try writing.  Actual writing.  Editors don't see writing very often.  But they'll know it when they see it.

No comments: