Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Books on "Tape"

One of the literary developments of the past decade has been "books on tape"--or now, of course, CDs. The idea being that a person can listen to a book in the car or while soaking in the bathtub. Not bad, really.

I've got my fair share of these, too. In fact, I usually purshase a "book" or two on CD whenever I plan a long car trip. My problem is, I tend to buy up more CDs than I can listen to at any one time.

I see, looking at my shelves this morning, that I have several yet unopened books, including:
Reason for Hope, by Jane Goodall
The World is Flat, by Thomas Friedman
Life's Journeys, by Fred Rogers ("it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood"...that guy!)
and I've got four or five yet to be opened CDs of Garrison Keillor's Prairie Home Companion collection.

Some day, on a car trip to a galaxy far, far away, I'm going to open these babies. Problem is, with gas at $4.00+ a gallon, how can I afford to go anywhere but Barnes and Noble (where, of course, I buy more books on CD)?

No comments: